Pork asado Filling ingredients:
- 1 lb pork chopped into small pieces
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch diluted in 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 5 tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tbsp shortening
- 1 pouch instant dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
To make a pork asado:
- In a pot, using medium heat, saute onion and garlic in hot oil the onion is translucent and aromatic.
- Add the pork and cook the meat until it is lightly browned.
- Add water, soy sauce, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce into the pot using low to medium heat. Add brown sugar. Seasoned with salt and pepper. Simmer for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until the meat is very tender.
- Add the diluted cornstarch in a pot and continue to stir until the sauce thickens.
To make a dough:
- In a big bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, instant dry yeast and baking powder. Add the 3 Tbsp shortening. Then add warm milk and mix well for 12-15 minutes at medium speed using a stand mixer until a dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a working surface. Do not add more flour. Knead the dough for 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Coat the dough with oil and place in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for an hour to one hour and a half or until it doubled in size.
- After the dough rise, remove the excess air in the dough by punching the dough down gently and turn it out onto a floured surface. Roll into a log and divide into 8 equal pieces.
- Form one into a ball and then using a hand of rolling pin flatten it into about a 5-6 inch circle leaving a small bulge in the middle. Scoop a tablespoon of filling and place it in the middle. You can add an egg as well if you like. Gather the ends towards the middle and fully enclosed the dough by twisting it, turning the dough upside down. This technique will prevent the buns from opening up. Put a piece of wax paper at the bottom of each bun.
- Place the buns in the steamer with spaces in between because the buns will rise and spread while steaming. Steam for 20 minutes in low-medium heat.
- Serve the pork steamed buns warm. Enjoy!
Leave A Comment